5.21.2009

The Persistent Patient, but Never Patient.*

*Legal Notice: If I ever write a book, this might be the title. You can't have it. It's mine.
Warning, I am long-winded this evening.

Now that that's all cleared up, here's a story for you:

Over the past few days I have noticed my hair has been shedding more than usual and more than shedding. More like falling out. On average you lose about 50-100 hairs a day, I think I have been losing hundreds (more like bazbillions) of hairs a day. I thought I was just being paranoid, but this morning when I looked at my pillow and had a friend mention my hair looked thinner - I knew it, I'm losing my hair. Luckily for me I have been cursed with unmanageably thick hair and losing thousands of hairs would probably leave me with billions, but I leave a trail of the evidence wherever I go as evidenced by my black shirt, car seats, couch, babies that I hold, etc. Obviously, I assume I am going bald and call my Diabetes Repair Team (DRT). The Nurse from the DRT said she didn't think it was related to the diabetes but that she would talk with doc and get back to me. Great, if it's not diabetes - it's something else. Not another diagnosis, please. The DRT calls back - it is the diabetes (something about being in severe ketoacidosis and almost dying, blah, blah). So, yay! It's not a new diagnosis, but I'm still losing my hair and will continue to do so for a while. Hopefully it will stabilize and grow back in the next few months. If not, more testing for thyroid or other autoimmune disorders will be in order. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Here's to my hair - the bane of my existence that I couldn't live without (well, technically I could live, but you know what I mean).

Now that I am not severely depressed by another diagnosis, I can find things to be thankful for.

1. Cupcakes! In order to celebrate the fact that I am losing my hair, we got wonderful Berry Chantilly Cupcakes from Whole Foods. (*Side note: If you shop at Whole Foods and bring your own bags they will give a donation to the American Diabetes Assoc.) They were wonderful and as icing on the cake (haha) I kept by B.G. controlled.

2. A book about Type 1. After standing in the health sections of 3 different book stores looking for a book about Type 1 Diabetes, I finally found one. It jumped out at me right as I started to tear up because of the titles of all the books. Things like: Get Rid of Your Diabetes in 21 Days, There is a Cure for Diabetes, The Diabetes Cure, The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle, Reversing Diabetes, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these books exist for those with Type 2, but there isn't a cure for me (yet), nor is there a miracle fix. I wish this was something I could eat better and exercise more to get rid of. It was so frustrating to see all these books, but nothing to help me. But I found a book and I am so thankful for the information I am getting from it. I hope to learn all I can so that I don't get blindsided by any more side-effects/complications. (Here's something I have already learned: Sweden has the highest incidence of Type 1 and I'm part Swedish.)


3. A new journal/doodle/list book and new sunglasses!

4. Cutest nephew ever:


5. My DRT. The previously mentioned Diabetes Repair Team is awesome. They are available to me 24/7 and they call back with thorough answers very quickly. They are sweet and make sure I know there aren't any silly questions and that my hair falling out is actually something to call about. And they make me more confident in caring for this body of mine. A million thanks to them. And all of you, because like it or not you are part of my DRT too.

xo, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment