5.04.2009

Meet my new friends (and enemies).

Seeing as I talk about my diabetes a lot on here, I thought I would introduce you to all the new things that have been introduced into my life since diagnosis. I have a love/hate relationship with each of the items on this list. I am on one hand thankful that they are helping me stay alive and on the other hand they all suck (at least I have 2 hands, right?) Mostly I am thankful for these things and the way they keep me alive each day.


Alright, let' get started with the introductions...


1. Meet my compact friend that I take out to eat a lot. I look like a giant nerd/dieting girl every time I whip out this nutritional guidebook in the market or at the dinner table. Next time you see me out, thumbing through this book looking for the best choice - please don't judge me. I'm not on a diet, well, not the losing weight kind.
While we are discussing books, let me introduce you to this beaut. Every time, blood reading, bolus (from Latin for ball, meaning to administer a medicine to raise it's concentration in the blood), every morsel that crosses my lips, and minute of physical activity is recorded in this journal to be examined thoroughly at my next appointment.

2. Here's one of those friends you have that you can only handle in certain amounts, but find yourself around way too often. The lancet. Actually, now that I think of it, this guy is more like one of those friends who isn't a friend at all, but the devil. I spend way too much time with this thing. A tiny gun that you load, cock, and shoot ... at yourself. They keep telling me I'll get used to it, but I don't think I will. I flinch every time I do it and sometimes I pull my finger away as I pull the trigger, rendering the moment useless. Oh, how I hate this device that keeps me alive.
Here is the evil lancet's wife, test strips. She is unassuming and sweet looking in her sleek little case, until you find out you can't have her without the aforementioned lancet. So, I don't really like to be around her either.
3. My friend the insulin pen. The scariest part of being diagnosed was the thought of giving myself shots. This is actually the easiest part. The recording, researching, planning, and finger pricks are way worse. Sometimes the needle finds a nerve and brings me to my knees, but most time we get along pretty well. After all, without that expensive, clear liquid in there I would not be writing this.

4. The meter. The LifeScan OneTouch UltraMini (wow, too many squished together words) to be more specific. While cute and colorful, these little guys like to party with Mr. Lancet and Mrs. Test Strips - so I don't like them either.

5. Skittles (or other sugar-stuffed goodies)! Sometimes I start to get sweaty, tremble-y, confused, nauseous, and (ask Ryan) a wee bit irritable. This is when I turn to my handy-dandy bunch of blood measuring friends and get a number in 5 seconds. In this case ... 63. Then I get to scarf down a pack of skittles, or fruit roll-up, or orange juice - weeee! It's no good to go low, but it's good to get a treat!

So now that you are all introduced, please don't get freaked out if you see us out in public, we are just trying to enjoy life. But if you are easily queased, please avert your eyes when Mr. Lancet comes out.

xo, Meg

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Meg! YOu have had a lot to adjust to this past few months. Keeping you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete