5.17.2009

4 days - Yikes!

I guess it's been 4 days since I posted thankfuls. I will give 10 thankfuls to make up for my time away.

1. A day at the beach. My surgery is quickly approaching and I am trying to squeeze all my favorite summer time activities into these next few weeks. My all time favorite summer activity? The beach. In specific, Pacific Beach. I got to go with 3 of my favorite people too, which made it even better. Ryan, Lauren, Emi, and I drove to the beach got milkshakes and lazed around for a couple hours. It was heaven.








2. For our anniversary, I made Ryan a paperchain that counts down until November 1st, the month we move into our new home. It started with 170 chains, now it has 168! I am thankful for these steps forward.





3. My nephew. My mom and dad were able to visit Andy, Jessica, and George and I got to hear his cute cry and little snort on the phone. I love to hear about everything about him. I am thankful for my whole family and miss them all dearly.

4. 70 degree weather for 2 whole days.

5. A new book. I have started reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It is good so far and I am learning so many things.

6. Milkshake treat. I mentioned earlier that we got milkshakes at the beach ... that didn't exclude me. I drank half a chocolate shake and kept my blood glucose under control! (Plus, they were from what used to be the Zany Zebra and is now the Falcon's Nest ... so many good memories.)

7. I met with the nutritionist at the Diabetes Care Center and now better understand how to control my blood glucose and to coordinate my exercise with insulin and such. It's such a fine balance and very frustrating that I can do everything perfectly and things can still go crazy due to things out of my control. (If those aren't the words of a control freak I don't know what are.)

8. Herbs! So I have been growing my own little herb garden from seeds, but Kirsten's awesome gardening dad generously brought me pots of full grown herbs transplanted from his garden. I am excited to use, care for, and plant these in my own garden soon.
9. No doctor's appointments this coming week! This is the first week in 2 months without a doctor's appointment and the last free week for quite a while. I'm going to enjoy it.

10. Beat the Bridge Day! Today we got up at 5, caught a bus at 6:30, grabbed coffee, and walked 4 miles to raise money for diabetes research. Many of you donated and participated in this event, this means more to me than you probably know. It means that one day I may not have to give myself shots or worry so much about long term complications or that one day parents won't have to do these things with their small children. On top of the awesome cause, it was a beautiful, fun day with over 10,000 people participating. Here are some highlights:







Thanks for reading.

xo, Meg

1 comment:

  1. ahh the paper chain...a perennial favorite of mine...maybe once I book a flight out to WA I will make one of those myself. Glad to hear things are getting better and I hope you are able to get everything accomplished so you can relax after your surgery...funny that I just mistyped that as 'sugery' and thought 'huh, looks like sugary and man is that ironic'..

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete