4.13.2009

It would have involved scalpels and sutures.

Today was going to be my surgery, but instead I get to tell you what I am thankful for. First, however, I would like to state that I am not and will not pretend to be thankful for the hail/snow/sleet we have had all day. If I am not mistaken, it's April.

Ok, thankfuls....

1. I ran! So it was a half mile (maybe) and I was almost dead at the end of it, but I ran! I have a feeling you are going to be reading a lot of me being thankful for the things my body can do these days. Before all of this diabetes craziness I took for granted that I could run and do yoga and stay up all day without napping, but now I am proud of what my body can do. Sure I wish my waist was a little smaller, but at least I'm alive to have a waist. In the words of Fiona Apple, "I'm an extraordinary machine..."

2. My eyes are clearing. For the past two weeks I have seen everything as an impressionistic painting, and actually more like a Monet from his last year, but today I was able to read with my glasses ... something I haven't been able to do without much squinting, holding things at arm's length, and guessing words by their length.

3. Easter dinner with the Walter's and McCart's. Since I didn't write yesterday I will include this today. It was fun to count birds, squish a baby, dye eggs, and eat special made desserts!

4. Timing. So I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on March 27/28 and on April 18th there is a Diabetes Expo in Seattle and on May 17th their is a walk for diabetes research. Somebody is watching out for me and giving me all the resources and hope I need to get through this.

5. I am not having surgery today. As crappy as it is to have to keep dealing with my dumb bladder stuff, I am not in a hospital bed tonight and nobody is going to come into my room (I hope) every hour to poke and prod me. Eventually I will be laying in that bed wishing I could eat or keep my eyes open, but today I got to run and eat and play with my puppies. So, yay!

I hope you are having as good a day as I am.

xo, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment