7.29.2009

One Year & A1C

Today I start on a sad note. One year ago today was the murder/suicide in our apartment parking lot. I will never forget that day or the lives lost that day. I wanted to go put flowers on the spot today, but couldn't work up the courage to face it all again. I can only pray that the families of those lost are finding peace. Perhaps next year I will be able to face that place again and honor the woman who died in such a tragic and unnecessary way.

It's also been exactly 4 months since I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. It was also 109 degrees today (sans AC and with a fever due to an infection). It hasn't been the best day, but there have been worse days.

On a happier note, my A1C is 7% with is very close to normal! (For those of you who don't know, an A1C is a blood test that can show the average blood glucose levels for the past 3 months.) Normal is between 5-6%, when diagnosed my A1C was over 14%.

For my thankfuls:

1. Meeting a new friend. Today I met a new friend for lunch. She also has Type 1 and had such positive things to say and even brought me glucose tablets to help with those pesky lows. It was nice to meet someone else in a similar situation and to be able to complain about lows and highs and have someone with personal experience be able to understand. Plus, we ate at Purple, my favorite resturant.

2. Sitting in the library's AC. Ryan and I went to the city early today and worked in the downtown library. We used their AC and free wi-fi. It was nice to escape the heat for a while, I even had to wear a sweater for a while. With temperatures like these, we may move into the library. (Doesn't that sound just awesome. I would love it!)

3. A simple note. My Diabetes Repair Doctor sent me a note on my lab reports about my A1C and how great I'm doing. Such a simple gesture that really meant a lot to me. He recogonizes that it's hard work and it was nice to get feedback on how I'm doing. Who doesn't like a little positive reinforcement once in a while?

4. Sisters. Growing up I thought I wanted sisters, now that I'm older I'm glad I didn't grow up with sisters, but am very glad I married into 3 sisters. We spent Saturday and Sunday laughing, swimming, dying hair, and shopping. It was such a pleasure to spend time with my sisters. (Don't let Alyssa "trust" you.... trust me .... hahaha.)

5. I'm a day closer to visiting my family!

xo, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment