7.01.2010

W.S. Merwin....

This made my day....

W.S. Merwin to Be Named Poet Laureate


(photo from the NYT)


W.S. Merwin is one of my favorite poets. I was lucky enough to see him read in Seattle this year. To see him honored in such a way thrills my heart.

He has inspired me so much in my own writing. His work ethic is incredible. At the reading he said he always has a book in progress, a huge task for any writer. But his hard work has paid off. He has written over 30 books and is one of few who has received 2 Pulitzer Prizes.

My favorite quote from the reading I attended: "Try to praise the mutilated world because the mutilated world is the whole world." He is a man who finds beauty everywhere and then shares it with the public.

To learn more about W.S. Merwin and to read some of his poems, visit here. He is sure to knock your boots off with beauty. I highly recommend his newest collection of poems "Shadow of Sirius" (winner of a Pulitzer Prize in 2009).

xo, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment